You can’t help it, when you’re in a foreign place, on holiday, things just seem to jump out at you that sometimes are funny. Sometimes they’re very NOT funny. While on our trip to NZ, I started jotting down some of these things. Here are some observations from our holiday:
1. Suede ballet flats are NO good for snow. Yes, you’d think I’d have known that before I walked in the
snow ice in them.
2. New Zealand is always cold. Pack for the “low” not the “high” when you look at the weather report. Even then, 8 degrees still feels like 2.
3. The cute little lamb you just took a picture of is probably going to be someone’s (yours?) dinner tonight.
4. The shortest route is not always the fastest route when using a GPS.
5. No kiwis actually work in Queenstown.
6. The weather in NZ changes often and quickly.
7. An iPad and headphones are a must for any child being made to sit in a car that is covering 2000 kms and 6 towns in 8 days. Apple, you are a god-send.
8. However long you think you need to stay in one place, add a day.
9. Heated toilet seats should be mandatory for all South Island toilets.
10. It doesn’t matter how good your intentions are, you will NOT go for ar un/do sit-ups/push-ups, or make healthy dietary choices while on holidays.
11. 4 year olds don’t care about the mountains, the scenery, any paddock filled with cows/goats/sheep (except maybe the first paddock, anything after that is boring), they are happiest when you find them a playground to run around in.
12. There is no petrol station in sight of Apex rental cars at Christchurch airport. Someone is missing a huge opportunity right there. You’re welcome.
13. Always, ALWAYS take the day after you get home, OFF WORK! Arriving home at 7 pm Sunday with no groceries in the house, 3+ loads of laundry to do, makes it really difficult to get up and go to work the next day. Just take it off!