Week #13 Challenge : Check In (on your goals)
This (well, last, as I type this) week’s exercise for Deb’s 52 Weeks To Simplify Your Life challenge is to check in on our goals we created in Week 6 and see how we are going, 7 weeks later. Gosh time goes so quickly.
- Drink more water
- Make better choices (iced coffee and 3 cookies at Subway = BAD choices)
- Exercise 30-60 minutes at least 3 times per week
- Spend 30 minutes per day alone, with no computes/tv/phone, writing, reading or otherwise relaxing
- Practice breathing exercises
I had identified one of the main areas of my life that needed help/work as my health. Looking at these goals, it makes me think I need to set reminders to drink water and practice breathing. I know it is smart, I know it would be good for me, yet I don’t make that conscious decision to do it every day. Maybe it’s not such a bad idea to have an alarm go off every hour, just to remind me to breathe for a couple of minutes and drink a glass of water. I also haven’t been spending 30 minutes per day alone! And I am really working on the exercise thing, I promise!
- Show affection daily
- Give thanks and gratitude daily
- Have at least 1 fun family outing each week
- Have at least 1 date night every 2 weeks
- Eat dinner together (we already do this most of the time but I think it is important and needs to be remembered)
- Turn the TV off and have a drink on the balcony
- Cut back on computer/phone time during the evening (I was going to say NO phone/computer of an evening, but then remembered goals should be realistic and attainable. I don’t have the willpower yet to go cold turkey. I will have to do it slowly).
- Be spontaneous!
- Complete 52 weeks of 52 Weeks To Simplify Your Life!
I haven’t completely failed at these goals, but I haven’t exactly gone gung-ho at them, either. I am not great at showing affection to anyone on the planet except Nicklas. I can cuddle him and smother him in kisses all day. We have been doing fun family things on a weekly basis and it has been great! Tomorrow we are off to the beach! I love getting to do things together and am glad that we put that effort in each week. I could really use a huge internet-hiatus. I could/should give up FB, twitter, blogging, IG, but I don’t/can’t/won’t/haven’t. I really need to work on this. My 3 week absence from FB was actually really good, but you just miss out on so much when you’re not on FB.
- Save min. $100 per week
- Don’t withdraw from savings account
- Starting adding to Nick’s account again, even if only $10 or $20 here and there
- Save min. $11,000 by the end of 2013.
- Before spending money, ask, “Do I/we really NEED this?” (this might be pointless, because I am the Queen of Justification. Time to get honest with myself!)
This is the one thing we actually seem to be doing really well with. Since I set these goals however, we have decided to go, and booked a trip to, NZ. So saving $11,000 by the end of 2013 may not be entirely realistic. But there are a lot of things we want to buy. WANT, not need. So far we’ve done well not buying them, but the temptation is there and has almost been acted on a few times. The hardest thing for us to learn is to save the money first then buy something.
All in all, I feel like we are doing ok. But as usual, there’s plenty of room for improvement.
It’s not too late to join in with Deb and those of us participating in her 52 Weeks to Simplify Your Life challenge. Join in where you want, catch up if you want, link up if you want, or don’t. At least read the challenges and give yourself some food for thought.