What Would You Do?

Since my husband and I moved to Australia at the end of 2007, we have talked about visiting Tasmania and New Zealand. I have friends in both places, and the pictures they share and experiences they have are absolutely amazing.

We are so lucky to live on the GC, where typically the weather is amazing, the lifestyle relaxed, and while I do not take for granted the beautiful beaches and mountains and weather we have, I find the scenery of NZ absolutely breath taking.

We have been talking about holidaying to NZ or Tassie for over 4 years now. We are finally in a position to be able to actually DO it! We are slowly saving money and this morning I got an email from Virgin Australia with just phenomenal fares to NZ.

While we’d love to do a 2 week trip and do both islands, that’s just not feasible. And ever since friends of mine visited the South Island and posted pics on FB, I’ve become more resolved to make it there myself, sooner rather than later.These airfares may just make it actually happen.

Here’s the problem. We are now talking about going in October. We were planning to go in July, but neither of us are skiers and Nick is just that little bit too young for that kind of holiday just yet. So the whole mid-winter trip to Queenstown would most likely be lost on us. So now we are thinking late October. The weather will be a bit warmer (though still cold by GC standards, I’d imagine), and we will be able to explore the great outdoors without feeling like we could end up with frostbite.

We have been on this TTC journey for quite some time, and nothing has happened. So I have no reason to believe that in the next 7 months, between now and when we would go, that anything will happen. And even if 4-7 months from now, I were to fall pregnant, it would not be the end of the world, I’d still be able to travel. But if I am pregnant now, or fall in the next 6 weeks, I’d be at least 28 weeks pregnant, possibly more.That would be pushing it, I would think?

It’s very likely Virgin will have another big sale in the next few months, so there’s no real reason to book right now. On the other hand, as Deb said to me, we can’t put our lives on hold. Travel insurance does not cover falling pregnant and not being able to travel.

So I guess the question is, what would you do? Our options are book now at this ridiculously low price and possibly have to cancel. OR at least I cancel and they go without me (my mother may be coming too). Or wait and see what happens with the TTC journey – next appointment with OB/GYN/Fertility Dude is in June. In the meantime hope that VA have another sale in a few months (totally likely). I feel like booking now might just activate Murphy’s Law. No sign of being pregnant for years, book a holiday 7 months in advance and get pregnant. Sounds like something that would happen to me!

If I don’t fall pregnant, I’ll desperately want that trip away, will desperately NEED that trip away. Also, we don’t like to be people who talk about doing something a lot but never do it. If not now, when? Once again I have my over-thinkers cap on.

Linking up with Jess at Diary of a Stay At Home Mum for IBOT

Advertisements

12 thoughts on “What Would You Do?

  1. If it was me, and there will be another big sale later, I won’t book now but wait. Because Oct is still pretty far away and there’s no reason to throw money away to cancel a trip. If I’m booking it I’m going!!

    Even if a matching price doesn’t come up to NZ, I’m sure there will be somewhere else you would want to go for a lovely holiday in that would prove enticing too πŸ™‚

    Ai @ Sakura Haruka

  2. I think I would book it. At 28 weeks, you can still travel. You might be uncomfortable, but it’s very doable. And if you have to cancel it, you will have such a great reason to do it. Can you really be upset by it?

  3. My friend went through the exact same scenario… She was going through IVF and decided to go and book a European skiing holiday anyway. She got pregnant and went anyway… And loved it. Unless you are high risk, I think it’s safe to travel at 28 weeks and it’s not as though you wouldn’t be going somewhere where good medical help wasn’t available if needed (or a relatively short flight away from home). It’s a decision you need to be totally comfortable with though.

  4. If I were you, I’d give myself a deadline of waiting till the appointment in June, so you have a little more information on that front, and then factoring in your holiday booking from there. They’ll give you more information about timeframes and etc too so it might be easier to make a decision armed with more information. But then, I’m not a risk taker so I wouldn’t book the holiday and throw caution to the wind. Or, since you want to be pregnant, maybe you should and invoke Murphy’s Law. Regardless, I hope you figure out what works for you as a family AND that you get pregnant soon.

  5. On one hand, I agree, don’t put your life on hold for TTC/IF. We went through the whole IF crap too and during that time we moved to England for 18 months (we left right after miscarriage #1). I’m very glad that I didn’t let TTC get in the way of that because I would have missed out on an amazing time seeing new sights and exploring the world (we moved back to Aus when I was in the first tri with Monkey). And holidaying at 28wks wouldn’t be the most comfortable, but it’s still doable if you are not known to have issues with high risk complications. You’d just have to pace yourself a little bit more than you otherwise would. Also if you did fall pregnant now and you did put it off, how long until you would plan to take the holiday again? Years? And then you’d have TWO kids to juggle and deal with, and holidaying with one kid is a damn sight easier than holidaying with two, especially if you want to do things like take photos. My DSLR has laid quite dorment in the last 4yrs because of this.

    But then on the other hand, I am with Ai in that October isn’t very far away and there will definitely be more sales in the mean time and I would personally hate to have to cancel.

    Hard to say what I would do if it were me. I wouldn’t want to miss out, but at the same time I know very well how unpredictable and long the TTC process is when you add IF into the mix. If it were me NOW though and I know I have a history of complicated pregnancies and that there was too much risk to travelling that late (or even at all really because my body sucks) then I would say no, too risky. But if I didn’t have my horrible pregnancy issues then I would likely consider risking it more.

    Yeah, very tough choice there! Good luck with making it and I’m insanely jealous that you get to see two of the words most beautiful places. They are both very high up on my list to visit.

  6. Hmm, certainly a tough one. I also own an over-thinkers cap. I think, if it were me, I would just go ahead and book it! It’s a risk, but a calculated one. Good luck with your decision making.

  7. I think if I was in your situation, I would book… life is short.. just book and then if you have to you can cancel (and maybe it will activate murphys law.) but in a way that would be good… all the best with your decision making xx

  8. such a tough decision – i definitely still say book it and if you have to cancel the celebrations will overshadow the money lost… do they have a date change clause? if you found out you were PG could you travel earlier at least even if not in the snow?

  9. I think I would book it. Traveling at 28 weeks would be ok, so long as everything was well with the pregnancy. I’ve always wanted to go to NZ! Been to Tassie & loved it πŸ™‚

  10. I say do it! If the flights are a bargain, and your family is ok with possibly going without you (but possibly not – as everyone had said 28 weeks should be fine) then you’ve got nothing to lose. Just consider the cost of the flight to be a little under the table payment to Murphy…

  11. I say book it now. If you don’t book it or you wait to book it, then you might not get a chance to take this trip if you have a second little one around. At least not for a long while. Besides seat sales do come along but not always to such a great extent. If this one is really good, I’d say jump at it. You can still travel while you’re pregnant. And your worst case scenario means you’d have to get pregnant VERY soon, right? And it seems from the comments that you can still travel at 28 weeks. I think whatifs are the only thing really holding you back. πŸ™‚ Absolute worst case, you could sell the tickets to a friend or on eBay, if you can’t use them. But I don’t think it will come to that. πŸ™‚ You’re going to have a great trip!!

  12. I’d book it.
    NZ isn’t so far from home or so different from Australia that if something were to happen you couldn’t get medical care, 28 weeks was actually a really good time in both my pregnancies health wise (speaking in terms of two of my pregnancies making it that far, and then going pear shaped at 33 weeks), and I think you’re still not so uncomfortable you’ll be able to enjoy yourself!
    Go! Seriously! Go! If not I will go for you!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s