Last week Deb at Home Life Simplified kicked off her 52 Weeks To Simplify Your Life challenge. The first challenge was to talk about “What Went Right” in 2011, a challenge I wasn’t sure I would be able to meet. Surprisingly, once I got started, there were more good things in 2011 than I was remembering.
So now we are on to week 2, and we are talking about values.
Week #2 Challenge: Define Your Personal Values
I needed some prompting with this one, again not sure where to start. I’m beginning to think I may start every week like that. So I thought I’d start simply by figuring out what is important to me, some of which I already do well, some of which I’d like to work on.
Honesty must be very important to me, as it’s ended up on the list twice. Narrowing the list down proved a bit tougher.
It’s funny, the way your values change the older you get. 10 years ago I think this list would have been very different.
From here, I thought long and hard about which ones I could NOT cross off the list and I’m certain these are my top 5:
1. Family: This one will always come first. Husband, son, mum, sisters, I would go to the ends of the earth for them if they needed me to. That’s not to say we haven’t had our problems, we have, and I think those problems are what made me realise the importance of family. I haven’t always given them the best of me, and they deserve that, surely. At the end of the day you can’t change your family, and when shit hits the fan, or tragedy strikes, family are the ones who will pick you up, dust you off and have your back.
2. Happiness: I’ve spent far too much time wallowing in misery, feeling sorry for myself, months of undiagnosed post-partum depression, and enough is enough. I choose happiness. I choose to do things because they bring me joy. It’s so much more pleasant, and it makes others like you more, too!
3. Balance: I’ve done the work-60-hours-a-week thing, I’ve done the stay-at-home-mum thing, and neither of them are for me. I much prefer a balance of work-home. My husband and I particularly like Australia for it’s “work to live” lifestyle as opposed to the US’s “live to work” stigma. Life is so short, that’s the main lesson I’ve really taken in over the last 18 months. Don’t waste it working. And don’t waste it being miserable.
4. Gratitude: As I blogged about yesterday, gratitude has already had such a positive impact on my attitude, just 10 days into my 366 Gratitude Journal. Aside from changing your attitude, your frame of mind, your general outlook on life, it’s just downright nice to think happy, thankful thoughts.
5. Security: This is really a loaded word and can be taken in different contexts. I mean it in all of them. Financial security, job security, personal security, relationship security, parenthood security. I want to be secure in my words, actions, beliefs, who I am, how I look, what I do and the choices I make. I know there will be times I will question these things, I will stumble along the way, but how I react to these stumbles will define me and what I’ve learned.
The words I had the hardest time leaving of the list, friendship, courage, faith, confidence, all run a very close tie for 6th. All things I value, and perhaps don’t work hard enough on, but I like to think that if I can get the top 5 right, then these will fall in to place.
It’s not too late to join in with Deb and those of us participating in her 52 Weeks to Simplify Your Life challenge. Join in where you want, catch up if you want, link up if you want, or don’t. At least read the challenges and give yourself some food for thought.